Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lions' Den

Coming out of the Lions' Den

So the king gave the order, and they brought Daniel and threw him into the lions’ den. The king said to Daniel, “May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!”  - Daniel 6:16


I am Catholic, but my struggles with the institutional Church have more recently taken me to worship at King of Kings Lutheran Church here in Pueblo. My husband Steve and I have a great relationship with retired pastor, Mark Crates, and his wife, Pegi. When we sat down to dinner at their home on Saturday night, I certainly expected a prayer. What I didn't expect was the reading of Daniel in the Lions’ Den that Mark commenced to share, replacing Daniel’s name with mine throughout. I sat in stunned silence as I listened to the words and slowly realized that Mark was referencing the town hall he had attended that morning.

It was a Pueblo West Chamber event organized at the request of Rep. Navarro-Ratzliff. The event was originally set up to be a town hall for her and Rep. Garcia. When I learned of it, I asked to be included because my town halls and community coffees are all held in Pueblo and I saw this as an opportunity to engage with constituents in Pueblo West. The first inkling I had that it wouldn't be a typical town hall was from the car traveling in front of me as I drove out along Hwy 50. The car was covered with pro-gun and pro-2nd Amendment bumper stickers. Steve noted that they were probably headed to the town hall and sure enough, we followed them right out to the Pueblo West Library. As we walked in, folks were asking directions to the room with the “gun rally” and they were directed to the room where our town hall was set up. I had held a town hall at the Pueblo City/County Library in January to discuss public safety and community violence so I hadn't expected that this event would be dominated by those issues. It was crystal clear that, as the event got started, guns would be the prime issue no matter what else Reps. Garcia and Navarro-Ratzliff or Sen. Crowder and I wanted to share.

The Pueblo West Chamber folks were also surprised because the moderator of the event seemed unprepared for the agitated crowd and intense questioning. I was definitely on the hot seat as Rep. Garcia declared his NRA membership and commitment to uphold 2nd Amendment rights and Rep. Navarro-Ratzliff told the story of getting a conceal carry permit with her sister and mother. I felt caught off guard, at times, and questioned again and again about specific bills that have not been introduced or only been introduced in the House.

As best I could, I explained the process of every bill being guaranteed a committee hearing: to use my time most efficiently, I focus, in great detail, on the bills (House or Senate) for which I am the prime sponsor. I don’t usually review House bills unless they pass that chamber and come to the Senate. Public testimony is only heard in committee so, if a bill is presented in a committee I don’t serve on, I don’t hear that testimony. I read and do my homework on bills that make it to the Senate for a full vote. I wasn't concerned that demanding questions were being asked of me or that questions were often yelled out. I felt it was important to explain the process and help folks adjust their expectations that legislators know the details of all 600+ bills that are introduced each session when only about half of those will be signed into law.  

That was my first lesson learned: help people to fully understand the process.  I also left that experience with a sense of how necessary it is to be prepared and understand clearly what I’m walking in to. Third, and most important, I left there knowing how important it is to clearly articulate my values. When asked about the bill that would have allowed for teachers and administrators to carry concealed weapons in schools, I responded that I do not sit on the Judiciary Committee where the bill was heard and that I would have liked to hear the perspectives of teachers and administrators who came to testify. I also stated that I would have probably voted against it.

In hindsight, I wish I’d been clearer that, as a 2nd Amendment supporter, I also believe that the 2nd Amendment does not supersede all other rights, especially our constitutional guarantee of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Overall, it was a rough experience but one I’m glad to have had. It was a reminder of how important it is to connect with one’s values in leadership and a reminder that, often, we can find even a small piece of common ground when we do. Please know that I continue to learn how to serve you well and I am grateful for this space to process these things I learn. So, for now, it’s out of the den and on to the road ahead!