Sunday, March 17, 2013

Half Way Point???

We are just past the half mark in the 2013 Legislative session and I'm already hearing rumblings of a 2013 Special Session. The buzz around the Capitol is that there'll be a special session scheduled to deal with the Amendment 64 (recreational marijuana) regulations. We've been down this rumor road before but, I aim to seek out Senate President Morse to ask him what he's heard. Stay tuned...

Meanwhile, my stats are sitting at about 11/11. I have successfully passed 11 bills and I've got 11 (or possibly more) to go. This is already my best session yet - I'm defining success here only in numbers. I also believe a successful legislator focuses on building strong relationships inside and outside of the Capitol, passing meaningful legislation that matches our values, and understanding the needs of the community. We have a lot of work ahead of us and I am looking forward to celebrating many more successes.

March is Women's History month and I celebrated by, in a sense, returning to my roots. As far back as 30 years ago, I was introduced to marking Women's History Month by Kerry Kramer and Joann Dodds. Kerry was the Director of El Pueblo Museum and Joann worked at the City/County Library. They facilitated a number of programs over the years that highlighted women's contributions and helped me to better understand the ways women and women's stories have been excluded from history. I remember taking groups of girls from the Boys & Girls Club and sitting on the floor with them to listen and learn. Yesterday, I spent a Saturday morning back in the El Pueblo History Museum with a group of women scholars, historians, and community members to talk about Women's Leadership Then & Now.  It was refreshing to talk together about women in our local history, to discuss mothers as our first models of leadership, and affirm that women's ways of being in leadership are to be preserved, honored, and valued. I was encouraged and inspired to think about the many women who have come before us and to reflect on the strong women among us now. We talked about reclaiming women's work as community work and we recognized 3 generations of women present in Blasa Rivera, Lucia Rivera, and Deann Pujol. I changed the venue of my monthly town hall to be present at this community conversation. But, we're back on track for April 20th at the Library (100 E. Abriendo) 10:00-11:30 am.
Dr. Fawn Montoya, Dr. Claire Oberon Garcia, me, Maria Sanchez-Tucker, Deborah Espinosa, Dawn DiPrince
I have enjoyed the extra hour of sunlight at the end of the day that Daylight Savings brings but, trudging to the Capitol in the dark can be a little depressing. I'm looking forward to more light as the days get longer and I'm waiting to begin planting flowers in my home garden.

Wishing you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

-Angela