Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fun Times and Serious Work

2013 Boys & Girls Club Champions of Youth Dinner!!!

The Boys & Girls Club of Pueblo County held their annual fundraiser last night. The Club is where I became rooted in service to Pueblo. I spent 27 years working there working with kids and families. My daughter, Melanie Bravo, grew up in the Club and now serves Pueblo as the Club President/CEO.  I proudly continue my support of the Club and being there last night with staff, former staff, board members, other community supporters, and kids was like coming home.  I give great thanks to the Club for the role they’ve played in my life, my daughter’s life, and the lives of Pueblo families who rely on them for quality programs and fantastic youth development.
My youth partner and I won this foosball game against Rep. Garcia.
Would I consider it a highlight of the week? I don’t know but, it was certainly exciting! I had a meeting with the Denver Post Editorial Board this week.  Yup, the Denver Post. They invited Rep. Pabon, Rep. Hollinghorst, a Republican County Clerk, a Democrat County Clerk, Elena Nunez from the non-partisan group Common Cause, and me to talk about the Elections Modernization bill. As you may know, this bill simplifies the elections system and gives eligible Colorado voters the most options to cast a ballot. I wasn’t surprised this piece of legislation caught the attention of their editorial board. I am surprised that our Secretary of State is opposed to it. Over 75% of County Clerks (most of whom are Republicans) have come out in support of this bill that simplifies the elections process and saves money. We met with members of the Denver Post editorial board for an excellent conversation on the merits of the bill. It was a rather formal process and I might have felt a little nervous or intimidated but I am so excited about the legislation and confident in our team. 
The bill passed the House State Veterans and Military Affairs committee last week.
Their board really did their homework and they asked in-depth questions. It was a great process and I was so engaged in the discussion that I was late getting back to the Capitol to present a bill I’m running with Sen. Ted Harvey (R-Highlands Ranch).  Luckily, Harvey didn’t wait for me; he presented our bill solo and got it passed through committee in 5 minutes! I was sorry to be late but this was great prep for when I present the elections bill to the Senate State Affairs Committee.  KRDO scheduled a live radio interview with me about the elections bill at 7:30am on Thursday and I was even ready to answer questions that early in the morning. I’m ready to get this passed in the Senate and to the Governor to be signed into law! 

Lots of Pueblo and Southern CO folks were on hand for the signing!
On Friday, the Governor signed an Executive Order establishing a statewide committee for the 2013-2014 commemoration of the events surrounding the Ludlow Massacre and Great Coalfield Wars of 1913-1914. In September of 1913, the Great Coalfield War began when striking miners were evicted by the Colorado Fuel & Iron company (CF&I) from their company-owned homes and moved into tents along the Colorado plains. At the height of this conflict, on the morning of April 20, 2014, a skirmish broke out between striking miners and the Colorado State militia. This event, labeled the Ludlow Massacre, ended with the death of over 20 people, which included guardsmen, miners, and their wives and children. The death of children at the Ludlow Tent Colony thrust the Coalfield War into the media spotlight, with national scrutiny focused on the Rockefellers, who were majority shareholders in CF & I. In the aftermath of this tragedy, the Rockefellers and CF&I developed an employee representation plan that transformed industrial worker-company relations. For over 18 months, a diverse group – including historians, scholars, union members, Colorado National Guardsmen, archaeologists  tourism representatives, etc. – has gathered along the Front Range to plan activities, exhibitions, curriculum, lectures, and events to commemorate the 100-year anniversary of the Ludlow Massacre.  
Dawn DiPrince is one of the Commission members working on the commemoration.

I was proud that the Governor chose to recognize the on-going work of this group and prouder still that so many friends are members of this commission. You can see a full list of committee members here. Many activities are planned between September 2013 and December 2014 and I hope to attend most of them!