Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Gov's own version of a Beer Summit and the Modernization of our Elections!


This morning, I took some social time to meet friends, coming from church, for breakfast at Mt. Carmel. While I was there, I got to spend some time with my little friend, Mario. Walking outside with him reminded me that weeds are only unloved flowers so we picked some so-called weeds and adorned our hair with them. Happy Spring!
Mario and I are sprouting flowers from our heads.
 Last week, the Latino/a Caucus sat down to a beer summit with our Governor and some key staff.  Skye (the Governor’s dog), was around the office but not allowed into the conference room where we gathered. Colorado beers were flowing and since I’m not a beer drinker, I was happy to find a microbrewed root beer. Lt. Governor Joe Garcia joined us and we had a great conversation about how pleased we are that the power of the Latino vote is evidenced in bipartisan support of key pieces of legislation in both chambers. While this meeting was not intended to address any specific legislation, it was an opportunity to discuss overarching values that guide the Caucus. Our timing could not have better as the Governor had just come from spending the afternoon with President Obama. We were able to hear about their time together and Governor Hickenlooper was quick to add that while the President’s gratitude for the passage of our gun safety legislation was directed at him, he recognized that the thanks is to be shared among many people. Drinking a cold one with the Governor, Lt, Governor, staffers and colleagues was great way to spend a Wednesday evening and we were all pleasantly surprised to receive over 90 minutes of the Governor’s time – most folks are happy to get 15 minutes with him. I had to cut out a little early to get to a stakeholder’s meeting but, it was certainly time well spent. I look forward to continuing to build strong relationships that will serve all of Colorado well.
 
The Latino Caucus and Black Caucus gathered for a reception at the beginning of the session.
Lots of people have asked me if I was able to talk with the President or see him speak when he was in Denver on Wednesday. Sadly, I wasn’t. The State, Veterans, and Military Affairs committee was hearing SB1, the Working Families Economic Opportunity Act. I chair the State Affairs Committee and so even though I was invited to see the President, my committee responsibilities took precedent. This bill hopes to be Colorado’s version of an Earned Income Tax Credit. The EITC is a refundable tax credit extended to low and middle-income working families; the credit varies depending on whether a taxpayer is single or married and the number of children in the home. Increasing a family’s paycheck is good for business because more money in people’s pockets means that people spend more in our local economies, which helps to sustain and create jobs. For every $1 received from EITC, $1.60 goes back into the local economy. The bill passed out of our committee with unanimous support! All Democrats and Republicans recognized the value of supporting a bill that is pro-family and pro-economic stimulus.

I hosted a community coffee on Saturday and it was very well attended. While we talked about a wide variety of issues and bills, one particular bill caught the ear of the Chieftain reporter present. Election reform is on the horizon! I am sponsoring a bill to be introduced next week that will simplify the election system, give consistency to voters, allow several voting options, and remain budget-friendly to counties. I’m excited! Look for more info as the bill drops this coming week. In the meantime, check out this article in the Colorado Statesman!