Sunday, January 27, 2013

Civil Unions Off to a Great Start


When the Chair of a committee is presenting a bill in front of their own committee it then becomes the responsibility of the Vice-Chair to run the hearing. It only happened a couple times for me when I was Vice-Chair of Senate Finance and it always made me a nervous wreck. Enter, freshman Senator, Jessie Ulibarri who had to chair one of the largest and most highly publicized hearings of the legislative year when Civil Unions came in front of the Judiciary Committee last Wednesday. Sen. Lucia Guzman is the Chair of Judiciary but, with Sen. Pat Steadman, is also prime sponsor of the Civil Unions legislation. Barely 10 days into the session, Sen. Ulibarri expertly chaired a hearing that he has testified in front of many times. Perhaps it was his extensive experience on the other side of the desk that helped him to facilitate a process that honored those bringing forth testimony and helped those in attendance clearly understand both the process and the bill. Many of our colleagues refer to him as an “up and coming” and a “rising star” but, I’m here to tell you that Senator Jessie Ulibarri has already arrived! I know this because we share an office at the Capitol and I am supposed to “mentor” him. Well, it is clearly a situation of mutual mentorship and I am already learning a great deal from my new colleague. I’m certainly proud to know him! And I’m proud to know Sens. Lucia Guzman and Pat Steadman and I am grateful for the opportunity to place my name on the bill as a co-sponsor. Their expert knowledge of this legislation and the ways in which they are able to infuse humor into the process makes me miss my time on the Senate Judiciary Committee. While I am deeply saddened that I’m not serving on that committee this year, I am so proud to see such amazing work that honors our communities and makes great policy! Civil Unions moves next to Appropriations and I am eager to cast my vote when it comes to the floor for a full vote of the Senate.