Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Stock Show and Other Updates

For the first time ever, I made it to the National Western Stock Show this year. As a member of the Ag Committee, I have made some great relationships with many folks from agriculture industries who participate in this annual event and I was thrilled to be able to attend. It gave me an opportunity to build bi-partisan camaraderie with other members of the House and Senate Ag committees. I sported my southwestern vest and red cowboy boots all day at the Capitol and when folks were surprised that I’d never been to a Stock Show, I was quick to point out that I’d been going to the State Fair in Pueblo since I was 5 years old! The Stock Show started in 1899 and you can read more about its 107 year history.

Some other updates:

LEADERSHIP
I’m chairing a committee! I serve as Chair of the State, Military, and Veterans Affairs Committee. We began hearing bills in that committee this past week. This leadership role in the Senate is an important one and I will work hard to live up the responsibility. I am also Vice-Chair of the Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Energy Committee and serve on the Capitol Development Committee.

HELP ME SPREAD THE WORD
I attended a Bessemer Neighborhood Community meeting on Saturday and was disappointed to hear from a woman that she didn’t know I was regularly hosting town halls and community coffees. Please help me spread the word that:

COMMUNITY COFFEES are the 1st Saturday of every month at 9:00am, at the CPC office, 304 S. Union Ave.

TOWN HALLS are held the 3rd Saturday of every month at 10:00am, at the City/County Library, 100 E. Abriendo.

If you have suggestions for town hall topics or would like me to review a particular bill at a Community Coffee, feel free to send me an email at angela.giron.senate@state.co.us or call my Senate Office at 303-866-4878.